Monday, September 1, 2008

Life is like a box of chocolates...

This past week has been full of ups and downs...a LOT for ONE week...it's weeks like this that I'm so thankful for the amazing God that we have. This past week started with the news that my Grandad Ray had suffered a brain aneurysm and if I wanted to see him it would mean a quickly planned trip to Rapid City, SD. Rapid City is a hard place to get to, but we managed to get an emergency fare and get up there as quick as we could. My mom was already in Little Rock as previously planned so she, myself, and Riley made the trip. After NUMEROUS travel disasters thanks to United Airlines I was beginning to feel like not much more could go wrong...the travel experience is another post in and of itself. We finally made it to Rapid City and everything we went through to get there seemed trivial now that I was able to spend some very hard but extremely memorable and sweet moments with my Grandad. The aneurysm paralyzed his left side entirely so although he tried to talk we could not make out much of what was said. I know that was frustrating for him. We spent an entire day together and he was able to meet Riley for the first time...to which he shed a tear. She talked and laughed and smiled for him and even showed him how she could clap her hands. We also got to see my Grandma Rose which was wonderful and she didn't look a day older and has been a rock throughout all of this. We also got to meet all of my Grandma's family which was really good...Riley was the 10th Great Grandchild for these two! We had some great time with Grandad and that entire day I will NEVER forget. He lived a great life and passed away in his sleep this past Saturday at 87 years old. I know he is in a much better place now, but he will be greatly missed!


Grandad Ray Herr...December 22, 1920 - August 30, 2008

Me and Riley with Grandma Rose

0 comments: