Sunday, August 16, 2009

We made it to Texas!!!

Thankfully we had a rather good trip to Texas...Riley had a few meltdowns toward the end of the first flight, while we had to wait on the plane for the next flight to board, and just before we left for the second flight. Her early morning had caught up with her and she was so sleepy but fighting it hard...thankfully she finally came to a slumber in my arms just before take off for our second flight and slept a little over an hour! Southwest teased me because when we were leaving Oakland they said there were 7 empty seats so I could take her carseat on...woohoo! Lo and behold not a minute or two after I got the wheels off the car seat, the car seat in the chair, and Riley strapped in there was someone without a seat and they came to take the car seat away from me...stink! Both of our flights were full and we sat next to mothers on each flight so they were both so sweet and very helpful! The iPhone movies and apps were helpful though not quite the distraction I had anticipated...they helped out in what could of been some rough moments but she didn't want to just watch Happy Feet like I thought she would.

We had some great scenery on our flights...

All of my Texas peeps know how dry and hot it has been this summer and the southern part of the state is in a full on drought and in desperate need of some rain. Lake LBJ, where my parents live, is part of a chain of lakes linked by dams that feed into one another...at the bottom of the chain is Lake Travis and it is SO low...here is a pic from the sky. If you notice between the water line and the tree line it is white looking and that's where the lake should be sitting at...docks are just laying on dry land...so sad!As I stepped outside at the Austin airport I literally felt like I was gasping for air...apparently I have lost my tolerance for the heat and humidity since we moved to Cali...it just takes your breath away...literally! Riley and I must have been good luck though because we had a good hard storm as soon as we got to the lake that afternoon...they needed it and I loved seeing dark clouds and rain since we haven't seen anything remotely of the sort in Cali!

A few days before we left Facebook made a sweet reunion possible! One of my great friends from college, Jamie, had posted that she was spending a few days at Lake LBJ with her family so I quickly responded to see if we could meet up. She just had sweet baby Langston 8 weeks ago and she hadn't met Riley yet so she came over our first evening here to catch up and let me hold that sweet baby boy...it was so great to see her...thanks to Facebook!

0 comments: