Wednesday, September 28, 2011

It Never Fails...

Every time Jason leaves, whether it's a short trip or a long one, the idea of something breaking is always looming.  It seems like it never fails that as soon as he leaves something goes wrong.

Well this trip is no exception!

A few weeks into this TDY I was doing laundry and went to get the clothes out of the dryer and they were wet and it was cold inside the dryer.  I knew something was wrong but I didn't know the first place to start...was it the heating element, a thermometer, or would we just have to get a new dryer?

Nicki and Chad were so nice to come over one evening to help me check things out.  With the help of some videos we found online we got the back off and the heating element out but still couldn't tell if that was the issue or not.  The next day I found a local appliance store that carried the heating element I needed and they were so nice...the guy told me to bring in the heating element and both thermometers and they would test them all to find out which one was broken so I would know what part to buy!  

So off I went with all the parts in hand...when I got there he actually found a broken coil in the heating element that we never saw so that was obviously the problem.  $32 later and I was out the door...now we just had to get it reinstalled.

Nicki came over one morning and the two of us let the kids fend for themselves and we worked on getting the dryer back together.  We realized we had not documented the electrical wires and where they hooked in quite as well as we should of so we had to make a couple of changes through trial and error but after a bit there was hot air blowing and it was a success!

We never knew we could add "Dryer Repair" to our resumes one day but now we can!
After the dryer incident I thought perhaps that would be the one thing I would have to deal with this time and I was in the clear...until one night when I went to get something out of the car and I saw a mouse jump out in one corner of our garage!  YUCK!

I have never lived anywhere that I had to deal with mice.  Apparently they are sort of common here but that's still not OK with me.  A few days later I was talking to a couple of my neighbors and they were telling me about all the mice they had trapped in their garage...and it freaked me out.  We had a huge grass fire very close to our house several months ago and everyone is speculating that the fire has pushed the mice into the neighborhoods.  So I went and got a couple of mouse traps and baited them with peanut butter.  Never a dull moment around here!

0 comments: