Saturday, September 11, 2010

9-11

I don't think anyone will ever forget where they were on 9-11-2001...such a tragic day.
I vividly remember sitting in an auditorium waiting for Jason to arrive and take his seat next to me for our history class that we had together my freshman year at Texas A&M. I remember him coming into class talking about a plane crashing into the World Trade Center and I didn't quite wrap my head around what he was talking about. Minutes later our professor came in and announced that school was dismissed for the day and we all hurried back to our dorm rooms to spend the day watch the tragedy unfold on our TVs.
Just a few days later I was here...dressed in blue...at one of the most amazing days at Kyle field. I don't think the goosebumps ever left my skin as I looked around to see the entire stadium in red, white, and blue...something that 5 students had arranged and pulled off in just a few short days...amazing.
It was that day that really pushed Jason to commit to serving in the military...and we wouldn't have it any other way.
We will always remember that day...and pray for those who were lost.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
This 9-11 we headed to Sacramento for an air show...it was a great family day!
Here's Jason and Riley in front of the C-5...the plane Jason is tasked on now...and the biggest plane the Air Force has in it's fleet...it's ginormous!

There were a lot of planes to look at!
Here we are in front of the C-17
Unfortunately the C-5 had some maintenance issues while we were there and Jason spent part of our time at the air show dealing with that...but that also got us up in the cockpit quickly and Riley settled right in and was ready to fly!

While Jason took care of his work stuff Riley and I headed to the bouncy castles...unfortunately she tried many of them and usually ended up screaming and I had to go fetch her! She made it to the last step of this slide and then started crying...so close! She's usually not timid but I think there were so many kids and many of them were extra rambunctious so she was a little out of her comfort zone!
Jason made it in time to show her how to swing the bat and she did a great job hitting the ball!
This girl loves her Daddy...and vice versa!
Riley's funny face made a debut again!
My precious cargo sat in the C-5 while she had a little snack!
We spotted a C-130 and Jason had to check it out for 'ol times sake!
To his surprise he ran into a load master that he was deployed with in Iraq in 2008...such a small world!
He and Riley jumped in the cockpit and played!
We then spent some time on the C-17 and we stayed after the air show had ended so we got to watch them close up the back of the plane!
And she got to do some more flying!
In the back of the C-17
Here's Riley being tough with the guys!
We had such a fun time at the air show and Riley loved all the airplanes!
We were starving when we left so we headed to downtown Sacramento to grab dinner...we spotted a California Pizza Kitchen and decided that was it!
On our walk to the restaurant we spotted a great view of the capital!
And it was even prettier on our walk back after dinner!
There was this cool park we walked through on our way back to the car...Riley had fun seeing all the lights and being able to run free!
I love our days as a family...so treasured!

1 comments:

Jamie said...

Love that picture of Kyle Field! I was in blue, too! I wore my shirt the other day. :)