Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The travels continued...

Once we got back from Monterey it was time for me to head to Texas for work...San Angelo, TX to be exact!
Part of my job with Armed Force Eyewear has been to launch our first Virtual Eyewear Store...basically our technology in a kiosk form that allows customers to upload their photo, try on eyewear, and purchase all at once. You can read more about it here but the launch of this was the product of LOTS of work over the last few months and I was anxious to see it all come together!
My trip went well...we worked a lot...and barely even left Goodfellow AFB!
Here's Susie and I in front of the store...

and the final product!

I was glad everything went well but was anxious to get home.
You see...lots of fun was being had while I was gone because DiDi had come to hang out with Riley and Jason! I got lots of picture updates througout the week so I know that there were lots of babies played with, play dough creations made, and Riley even learned how to play hopscotch with her sidewalk chalk!
Sadly DiDi and I never even saw each other because she literally came and went while I was gone but Riley LOVED having her here and I know they had lots of fun!
Not to go on a tangent but my flight home was SO frustrating. It turns out that nowadays, unless you fly Southwest, you can purchase and ticket and have a reservation but not have a seat. Awesome!
When I checked in at the San Angelo airport I was told I did not have a seat on my flight from DFW to Sacramento...my ticket had cost over $600 but no seat for me...how do they get away with this?
Anyway, once I got to DFW and confirmed that I did not have a seat, that I was not willing to wait on a later flight for a $200 voucher because why would I want to ever fly that airline again, and basically stare down the gate attendant until she found enough people to volunteer for the next flight...I got a seat!
Just as my seat was confirmed we found out the plane was having issues and we would have to get on a different one...now I don't mind maintenance issues because I definitely don't want to be on a broken plane. We changed terminals and got a new aircraft and I was finally on my way.
Thankfully all of my future travels are on Southwest so I shouldn't have to deal with this again anytime soon!
I got home and was so glad to be with Jason and Riley...but realizing that our time as a family would quickly come to an end.
We had a good rest of the weekend together and got Jason all ready to go.
He left early Monday morning on a commercial flight so we had to say our goodbyes in the Sacramento airport...no fun.
If my experience flying on Saturday wasn't enough the same thing happened to Jason on Monday...different airline...same story. He didn't have a seat on his second flight...and it was a government contract ticket. He ended up getting on his flight after they literally had to pull someone off the plane...they had no choice since he was on orders. I just don't get it.
Jason has since made it safely to his destination and is busy getting settled and in a routine which will involve LOTS of working. He has internet in his room this time which is so nice so hopefully we will be able to chat and skype even more than last time.
We miss him so much...luckily Riley doesn't quite know what is going on...she just thinks he's on an airplane but she is always asking and looking for him.

0 comments: