Monday, May 3, 2010

Riley...


Riley...you are more fun, more verbal, more imaginative, more challenging, and more rewarding with each day.
(I stopped doing monthly updates once she turned 2 but it's about time I spend some time just talking about what Riley is up to these days!)

Riley...quite the talker
...
You are such a little person but such a big person at the same time. You can communicate fabulously and I pretty much know what you are saying most of the time. You like to mimic and repeat things you hear so I have to be on my best behavior.
Lately, you have been repeating my discipline tactics on everyone including your mommy. You tell on people by pointing at them and saying "her" or "him" with a very dramatic voice. You actually told on me to your Daddy this morning when we skyped with him...I'm not sure what I did but you told on me nonetheless. You send people to time out, tell them to be nice, and say "No no no" or "I don't like that" quite often. This has led to some challenging moments for me but at the end of the day I at least know that you understand the concept of discipline and you only discipline people in situations where you are unhappy with what is going on.
...
You have developed an imagination and it is just so much fun. You see bears, snakes, and dragons quite often. On our last flight home from Arkansas you saw bears on the runway as we were taking off and were so sad that they didn't get on the plane with us...thankfully we saw the bears in the mountains before we landed back in Cali and they were able to get on the plane. You didn't want to go down the slide at Didi and Doc's house because dragons were there. You see snakes on the ground all the time and we have to run from them. I ask you every morning what you dreamed about and I just can't wait to hear what you have to say!
You miss your Daddy like no little girl should have to. You are always asking to ride on his shoulders, to be held by him, to watch Where the Wild Things are with him, when he is going to get off the plane, and why I am driving HIS truck. You are aware that he's not home and you have actually told me that you are sad. There is so much going on in your little mind considering how young you are, but despite how sad I am that your Daddy is not home right now there is nothing better than seeing you interact with him on the computer. We got to skype with him for the second time this morning and you just had a blast. You gave him knuckles, tickled him, asked him for a piece of gum, and told him lots of stories. You wore his hat in a parade at school last week and everyone was warned not to touch your Daddy's hat because it would always result in a complete meltdown...you were so proud to wear it.
...
You know no strangers...you are so social and I absolutely love it. If we go to the park, to the store, or out to eat you wave to everyone, meet friends, and know how to work a crowd. I'm anxious to see how God uses you in the future with these characteristics. You are friends with everyone and you get excited to see all of your friends at school and talk about them all the time. You know all of my friends and their babies and love hanging out with them. You ask about everyone we know and wonder if they are coming to our house. You are elated if the door bell rings and you just meltdown when people leave our house. You love to be surrounded by people and there are so many people who love to be surrounded by you.
You are such a girl...you are already in love with shoes, purses, and chapstick...the three things we can't leave home without. You are sort of starting to pick out your clothes...or at least tell me if you don't want to wear something. You tell people that you like their shirt or that their necklace is pretty...you notice the details. While you are such a girl, you are also super tough. At school you and your friends have science time and you like to hold the silk worms. You can fall, scrape your knee, and get up to keep going. On the flip side you know how to milk a boo boo and you have been showing EVERYONE the booboo on your knee that is practically healed and occurred almost 2 weeks ago!
...
You are potty trained...thank you Jesus! This potty training has been tough on your mom...we've been way too wishy washy about it and it has led to some stressful moments but I think we have finally crossed the finish line. You are very particular about your panties and have responded best to having character panties because you know that if Dora or one of the princesses gets wet they will be sad. This past week has been a breeze and you have not fought me about going to the potty and the only accident you had was at the park where there were no restrooms. You peed your pants and kept on playing, but I knew about 3 minutes before the accident that you had to go.
You have an incredible memory...I can't get anything past you or try to pull the wool over your eyes. You remember names and you have associations with people. If you did a certain activity with a particular person you always remember that. If I promise you something and forget to hold up my end of the deal...you remember!
...
You can be difficult to discipline, but then again what 2 year old isn't! This has been a struggle for your mommy lately but just as with the potty training this past week has been much better. I am still trying to figure out what works best for you. You sure know how to throw a tantrum and have actually swung at me in some of your more dramatic moments. I have been reading books and learned that at your age I should only expect you to obey me 60% of the time and I think you're probably there. It's that 40% that can be tough. The one thing I am for sure is that if I ask you not to step over the line you at least have to touch it...you have some spunk for sure!
...
I have to end with a funny story...tonight I put you to bed around 7:45 and around 9:00 I heard you crying and yelling for me. I walked in your room and you were standing in your crib with your diaper in your hand...I said "Riley...what are you doing?" and you said "I wake up a little bit." I'm not sure why you took your diaper off but needless to say it went back on and we talked and giggled for a bit and I put you back to bed. You always keep me on my toes and I love it.
...
You are so precious to me and your Daddy and we love you in a way that words can't even describe. Thank you for being you and we can't wait to see how you grow and change but you could slow down this growing up thing just a tad. I told you today you were too big and asked if you would stop growing up and you said yes...oh how I wish you were right!

1 comments:

Susan said...

This is the sweetest post, brought tears to my eyes and many memories of you as a little girl. You truly know a mother's love.