Monday, September 7, 2009

I always have a project...

I love to craft in many different ways and I usually have some sort of project that I'm working on. I love to refinish / paint furniture and have probably slapped paint on at least half the furniture in our house! When we moved up here we inherited a very old dresser that had lots of character but needed some TLC! Those who truly love antiques usually get mad at me for painting furniture but I think even those that wouldn't have thought of putting a coat of paint on this piece will like the end result!

The dresser had a very dark stain on it, old broken hardware, and many scratches. I planned to put it in our bedroom but Jason wouldn't actually let me bring it in the house until I fixed it up...that annoyed me yet gave me the motivation I needed to get it done! I spent several weeks working on it while Riley was at school and it actually was a much easier process than anticipated. I sanded the entire thing down and because of the details parts of the original stain were just unreachable with the sander so it had a distressed look...which is exactly what I wanted but I just thought I would have to distress it myself! I picked a color called California Poppy and put one coat of paint on and the distressed look came through...I just love how it turned out!

I purchased some new hardware and it is a great accent piece in our bedroom...and now we each have our own dresser. I am using the top drawers to hold all of my jewelry and the bottom drawers my clothes! I have to be honest...I still haven't gone through all of my jewelry since it will take hours to untangle all of my necklaces that the movers just dumped in a box...I will get to it sometime...for now I just rotate between a few necklaces! Ha!

1 comments:

Meg said...

Too cute! I love it!