Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Adjustments

I'm sure some of you with more than one kiddo can relate but until I had my second I didn't realize how easy a newborn is.  I don't think I stressed any more than a normal first time mom with Riley but all in all it was stressful...I was always questioning everything I did.  With Tessa I felt sort of like I had it under control and knew  what I was doing!  Now let me also say that I have had the blessing of two easy babies..no colic, etc so keep that in mind.  :)

Newborns are physically exhausting but a 4 year old is emotionally and mentally exhausting!  The best help was someone taking care of Riley...keeping her entertained, getting up with her in the morning, doing her bed time routine, etc.

Riley has done GREAT with Tessa...she absolutely adores her, wants to hug and kiss her all the time, and just can't get enough of her.  I knew she would have some sort of adjustment though because it has just been her for the last 4 years.  Her way of adjusting was taking it out on me.  She seemed to be overly defiant towards me for the first couple of weeks.  Obviously I was hormonal but something happened that I had not even anticipated in one bit.  Having a second baby I was going into it feeling guilty that I wouldn't get the kind of one on one time with Tessa that we had with Riley.  The opposite was true though.  I got NO time with Riley!  The 3-4 months before Tessa was born was just me and Riley since Jason was in Vegas.  We had our little routine going on and our special Mommy and Riley time so in a matter of weeks Jason was back at home and now I had another sweet bundle of joy to love on who required most of my time.  Just as much as it was an adjustment for her it was a big adjustment for me too.  I felt like I missed Riley and she was living in the same house as me.  When the opportunity would arise for me to get some one on one time with Riley she either was a total mess with her behavior and I had to spend the whole time disciplining her or she wanted Tessa to be included.  I had a hard time with all of that for sure.  The good news is that it was a phase and something we all adjusted to.  As the cliche goes "it too shall pass."  After a few weeks and after all our visitors were gone and we were getting into our own routine things seemed to fall into place and I had more time to spend with Riley and her behavior was much much better!

The best thing is that Riley absolutely LOVES being a big sister and LOVES having a little sister.  I am covering these girls in prayer that they can have an awesome relationship as kids and as adults.


0 comments: