Monday, May 11, 2009

You know you live in California when...

So we have been in Cali for a little over 2 weeks and have decided that we really love it out here! We have been really surprised by how nice everyone is...we had heard to expect people not to be as friendly as they are in the South...they were wrong! I suppose it's the same for kids that thought we rode horses to school in Texas...it's all about assumptions! We have also encountered several non-military individuals who are rather conservative in their view...our sweet landlords being two of them...which is SO nice! We have noticed different things about California as would be expected and here are a few!
1. Electrical Charging Stations...these are for cars! Driving along the highway there are signs for these stations so people who need to charge up their vehicle can pull of and do so...this could become commonplace everywhere before we know it but we chuckled as we drove our gas guzzling Tahoe down Interstate 80!

2. You can only find California King bedsheets...OK this was so frustrating for me! We have a new king size bed for our bedroom and last Friday (our first night in the house) I set out to get us a new pair of sheets for the bed. I started out at Target and found the nicely organized row of sheets in this order...twin, full, queen, California king...what? Finally I find the most expensive sheets you can buy in king and snatch them up as I fear that this may be our only option. Still confused I set out to Bed Bath and Beyond sure that they will have their stuff together and have "regular" king sheets...lo and behold I set my eyes on the same lineup of sheets...twin, full, queen, California king...what? I find the shunned section of "European king" sheets which consists of white semi-descent sheets yet they are cheaper than the ones I just bought at Target so I snatch those up as well. I thought people bought California king beds because they were tall not because they lived in California...are you kidding me? I even asked the manager at BBB and he laughed and noted that they did need to change their selection because he was having more and more people looking for "regular" king sheets...apparently they are coming around! I had to run through Walmart...which is like no big deal here by the way...and I thought I would skim their sheet section and found the cheapest king sheets, but the right color and the softest by far which is what we like...I came home with 3 pairs of king sheets and we ended up both liking the ones from Wally World...what do ya know?

But like I said we have been overwhelmed by the friendliness we've experienced so far and we even saw this bumper sticker on a car while we were in Tahoe!
Isn't that great...and I cropped out the license plate but it was California plates just so you know!

Now for a pic of Riley...

We spent several hours outside yesterday afternoon playing in her pool...basically it was me trying to keep the dogs from drinking her water and stealing her toys and trying to keep Riley from trying to drink from the dogs water bowl just like a dog...it was so cute but so gross at the same time! Riley had a blast outside and screamed at the idea of having to come inside.

We have such a fabulous backyard...in fact I'm sitting at our patio table right now blogging and drinking my coffee...and we eat out here every night. My biggest problem now is that it feels a little bit too much like we're on vacation and I want to sit outside every night and have a glass of wine...we NEVER drank at home before...I guess one glass can't hurt anyone right? HeHe!

The dogs love it too...occasionally they will bark if a golfer gets really close to the fence but in actuality if they hit the ball close to our fence it means they kind of stink so I think they should get barked out...haha! Several days ago we were inside and I heard a noise that I could only assume was a golf ball hitting the roof of the house..hmmm...and then yesterday when we went outside to play I found what used to be that golf ball...Hank and Kadie had their way with the ball! Here are the two culprits and the ball...in two pieces!

2 comments:

Heather said...

cute pool. even cuter little swimsuit girl. glad you guys are loving it so far.

Didi and Doc said...

As much as we miss you guys, we're so happy that you guys are happy. Seems like a great place to live! Hey, I agree--if you're that bad of a golfer that you hit someone's house, you deserve to be barked at and have your ball chewed in half. The culprits don't look a bit guilty--proud, maybe! Love that cute suit on that cute girl! XOXO